CERVICAL SMEAR TEST
What is a cervical smear test?
This is a screening test which checks to see if the cells that make up the surface of the neck of the womb (cervix) are normal. It aims to identify any abnormalities, which can be simply and effectively treated.
Who needs cervical smear tests?
All women between 20 - 60 years of age who are sexually active need regular cervical smears. In Scotland women are routinely invited to attend every 3 years.
In the UK the cervical smear test saves over 1000 lives each year and prevent 8 out of 10 cerivcal cancers developing.
Do you really want to stop smoking? If so please contact the practice for further information on how to access the smoking cessation clinic.
The Smokeline telephone number is 0800 032 6672. Smoking causes serious health problems such as heart disease, lung disease and cancer.
If you do not smoke you will live longer and you will be fitter and healthier. If you are planning a family you will improve your fertility and your chances of a healthy baby. You will also have a lot more money to spend or save. Stopping smoking may be one of the hardest things you have ever tried to do.
There are various options available to you
- You can have patches, nicotine chewing gum or nicotine lozenges on prescription please speak to a doctor about this.
- Ladies wishing to stop can be referred to the Buddy Project this will provide you with independent support from a buddy. Please contact the practice and we will be pleased to refer you.
- There are smoking cessation clinics available to help you
- The Smokeline telephone number is 0800 032 6672
- Patients can self refer to The Smoking Cessation Service at 0800 032 6672